Which City?
22:43So what do you think of the place you are in now? I am now living in Bandung for the last 14 years after being a small part of the metropolitan Jakarta city since I was born (though I didn’t get born there).
Well I gotta admit that I am okay here, I like Bandung very much. But something just told me, this isn’t my place. I’ve always been so not into it. From the first time I was mad that I was ever brought to the city. But the city had taught me much. I’ve learned so many things here, from social problem with seniors to social ballroom dance, from first love to broken heart. And I am being more mature than ever, I grow up and have got all the valuable memories here.
I have all the best friends I’ve ever wanted. But now, things are changing. They always are, aren’t they? So my girls now have their own worlds and so have I. (why do I always mention this anyway?) And I guess it’s now time to leave all the memories in its place.
I always know, that I’d return back to my city one day. With God’s permission, I’d enter the gates again. Just like what God said to Elijah in book The Fifth Mountain (Paulo Coelho). ‘You shall not leave the town until you learn to break down and build everything from zero again’. That’s what the book said more or less.
So I think I’ve had enough now. Everything just feels so right to move back again. I’ve learned the break downs and I’ve rebuilt myself into a better form. I’ve all my duties (almost) done here in Bandung I guess.
But still I dunno, whether Bandung or Jakarta the better city? Bandung has the familiar, friendly, cozy and cool city. I know best the places, people and got used to the surroundings. Here was where I’ve found my sweet memories. Here was where I love the cafes in Rancakendal and all along Dago. I love the weather, the streets, the beautiful big trees, the situations.
In Jakarta, with all its hot-steamy weather, crowd and criminals, high-lifestyle and tough competition, I just feel more alive there. They are just more dynamic and live. More tense mean more productive. I always know that I’d work in Jakarta, though the idea scares me too. Anyway, if I could enter the company I’d practicing work for soon, it means bright future for me, and it means I should really move out.
But live in Jakarta mean starting from zero point again. Buy/rent new house or an apartment? Have car or have to sell/change it? And my relationship with my boyfriend.. How is it going to be? LDR-forever? Big plans to arrange from now, big changes are gonna happen to our lives. The family just doesn’t really grow in Bandung. We need metropolitan scene to bust up our spirits maybe. This is so confusing anyway. Maybe we’d just have to ask God for whatever He wants us to be.
Meanwhile, I gotta spend my ‘last year’ here in Bandung for the best. So when I’d leave, there’s nothing to be regret, just to be kept in mind. And I could give some visit whenever I miss my beautiful city later. It’s just a 2-hours ride anyway. I know I’m gonna miss her. But hey, this is life. Everything changes. The only thing that doesn’t change is the Change itself.
And like what Han said to Sean in film The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift, that when you make a choice, there’s no turning back. We have to move on. And change is one way to get to the top. I’d take the chance—and the change.




0 comments