A Vintage Found: Douwe Dabbert

15:37


When we were kids, Mom subscribed a local magazine named Majalah Bobo for me and brother to read. They have continuous comic bonus in every edition and one of my favorite was "Pak Janggut". Only today I found a link to download its e-book and I was thrown back to my elementary years drowning in the old man's journey.

It is a story of a fat and short old man with white beard who travels through villages at the mid-centuries somewhere in Europe. He was dressed in green ragged clothes and carried everywhere a magic brown bundle tied on a stick. The magic bundle was given from his wizard grandfather and would give him anything he needs in any situation. This was such a bedtime story for me.


When I downloaded and read some of the series, I became curious who made the story because of the thick medieval setting and characters--it certainly not an Indonesian story. Then I found the name of Piet Wijn as the illustrator and Thom Roep as script writer. The illustration then continued by Dick Matena when Piet Wijn grew older and retired drawing.

In English the comic is known as The Journey of Danny Doodle while the original Dutch was De Avonturen van Douwe Dabbert. It had been published continuously in a Donald Duck Weekblad weekly magazine since 1975-2001 in 23 series. I found 15 of the series downloadable here.
Let's enjoy the medieval adventure!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

My Books

Victoria Tunggono's books on Goodreads
Gerbang Nuswantara Gerbang Nuswantara
reviews: 3
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.73)

Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura (Buku 1) E-Book Edition Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura (Buku 1) E-Book Edition
reviews: 2
ratings: 4 (avg rating 5.00)

Gateway to Nuswantara Gateway to Nuswantara
ratings: 1 (avg rating 5.00)

Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura (Buku 1)
reviews: 1
ratings: 1 (avg rating 5.00)