Losing Friends

21:38

via youthministry

Is it even a term, 'losing friends'? I suppose I didn't have the term in my dictionary when I was a kid, but the life after 30 seems to offer different things. During the past 5 years I've lost at least 3 of my close friends; two of them are both Aries girls who had shared some great years as my best friends since we were 16 until 30, and the last one is a boy from school who happens to live in Bali now and with whom I had some great adventure together. Alas, I had to cut my friendship with them due to certain circumstances.

To me friendship is a relationship where the two persons share the same interest/value and make an equal effort to be of use for each other. If there's only a person who makes the effort while the other is taking advantage, or talking of the other behind their backs, or is simply selfish; it's not a friendship after all. And for me it matters most, for both parties to give at least an effort for the friendship to work out and last.

I've heard or read somewhere that in life we have limited 'seats' for closest people around us. If we have new friend, we must lose an old one. Something like that, I'm not sure. But the thing is, people change. We all change. We learn, we grow, we adapt, we thrive. Those who fail to catch up should be left behind because we have our own pace. Well I guess that's how life works in social aspect.

On this BBN Community site, the reasons we are losing friends are because:

1. You don’t tolerate insincerity anymore 
As we grow older and wiser, we stop ignoring faults and incompatibilities with the people in our lives, we start to lose patience for insincere and false friends. We learn that “quality over quantity” applies to friendships too. You’d rather have a genuine and sincere conversation with a good friend rather than put up a front and be with superficial people. 

2. You’ve got less time 
With age comes responsibility and lack of time, socializing generally takes a back seat. When this happens, we start to value our free time and realize that wasting it on friends whose company we don’t really enjoy anymore is not an option. Spending our limited free time with people who we like and who matter is far more important and rewarding. 

3. Your friendships deepened with time 
The friends who stuck around through the bad and not only the good have seemed to stay in your life. As we get older the “fare weather friends” start to disappear. Our deeper bonds and connections hold and we stop looking for more as we start to see who our real friends are. And those bonds just keep getting stronger! 

4. You’ve got more experience on your back 
We all need a friend to provide support sometimes, and as you grow older you start to see who you can rely on! This helps you see who’s worth keeping and who isn’t, and it’s more than likely the list of friends who you can really rely on isn’t a very long one!


I guess that's true. We filter friends as we grow up because we get to know ourselves much better; those who are no longer in tune with us will be sorted out no matter how. It is actually sad for me to have to lose friends. But being a Pisces, I'm the person who cares too much that I'm easily fall into negative aura and I really don't need more drama in my life.. That's why I cut some friends off (and I guess another one to be cut soon). Maybe we need to do that at one point in life. We all want to live in peace, harmony and more positivity after all. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

My Books

Victoria Tunggono's books on Goodreads
Gerbang Nuswantara Gerbang Nuswantara
reviews: 3
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.73)

Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura (Buku 1) E-Book Edition Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura (Buku 1) E-Book Edition
reviews: 2
ratings: 4 (avg rating 5.00)

Gateway to Nuswantara Gateway to Nuswantara
ratings: 1 (avg rating 5.00)

Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura (Buku 1)
reviews: 1
ratings: 1 (avg rating 5.00)