DIY Project: Decoupage With Batik

20:10


It all started with the decoupaged cigarette box and zippo lighter I got from a friend. He made it himself, decorating the boring metal stuff with the ethnic Indonesian touch. So when I told my Mom I need to revamp my guitar outlook, she suggested that I try decoupage it with the batik cloth we have. I bought the Yamaha guitar in 1995, which made it 22 years old now, and was damaged here and there on the wooden parts. I hate seeing it broken like that, so I decided to buy new strings and pimp it a bit for a fresher look.

the original old guitar

Actually I should use paper or tissue paper for the guitar to keep it from changing sound. But I don't have such paper with a design I wanted so we tried with the batik cloth instead. Mom has a very beautiful batik, dark green with yellow, red and purple flowers that I really like. So we cut a pattern with old newspaper and copied it to the batik using straight pin.


We cut the cloth precisely, following the newspaper pattern we already made. Then, we stick the cloth using the Mod Podge-kind of glue (we bought a local-made one) and finished it using the varnish (another local-made special glue) and ta-daa.. we finished revamping the guitar in less than 3 hours. Well, it should be okay for our first project, right?


Another thing I decoupaged was a tin can and another cigarette box that started to rust. I used the same batik cloth for these stuff but I used the border for the tin can so it looked different. Repeated the same steps, only I use longer time with hair dryer for the ciggy box so it dry faster. I am super happy with the outcome and kind of loving this new skill. LOL. Now I'm looking forward to decoupage other things!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

My Books

Victoria Tunggono's books on Goodreads
Gerbang Nuswantara Gerbang Nuswantara
reviews: 3
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.73)

Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura (Buku 1) E-Book Edition Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura (Buku 1) E-Book Edition
reviews: 2
ratings: 4 (avg rating 5.00)

Gateway to Nuswantara Gateway to Nuswantara
ratings: 1 (avg rating 5.00)

Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura (Buku 1)
reviews: 1
ratings: 1 (avg rating 5.00)