Grandma's Secrets
00:15image is taken from Granny O'Grimm's Sleeping Beauty
My grandmother stayed at our place for a week last week and therefore we had time to chat, some girl talk. I had problems with my boyfriend but since my grandma likes him a lot, she didn't give me speeches or advices about this or that. Otherwise, she started telling me stories about 27 boys she had been with before she was married.
We spent more than 5 hours talking and giggling and laughing about love stories, from 7 a.m. till midday. My grandma shared lots of stories about guys trying too hard to catch her attention, guys being too confident thinking she wanted to be with him and guys wanted her hand in marriage while he was already married with two kids. She even told me about her first love, who never been married cuz it was not with her (I was touched here, but felt too corny to show any empathy then) and died several years ago at the age of 70 because of some cancer.
Then I realized, that she wasn't the only one who didn't marry the love of her life in this family. And from all of her children, only one girl successfully married to the man she truly loves, while the other couldn't (which made me feel terribly lucky to have Ara.) From all of these stories that I knew since I was a kid I've always known what I want and what I don't--and I learned how not to be married to the one I do not love. I learned how to prepare and protect myself from the worse that reality can bring: not to be married at all. I don't want to repeat the same mistake most of the girls do.
I also realized that the 'stubbornness' (of ideal life) I now possess were rooted too long before, it came from my grandma's too-strong heart. She herself is an idealist lady who holds on to her principals and taught her daughters the same dignity, which is passed onto me and my sister. The girls in this family are strong because of my grandma's blood. I am such an idealistic person because all of the girls in the family are.
After all of the love stories, I told her about my boyfriend and how I feel about him. It was pretty awkward at first, since I had never told her anything about my love life before. And she hated my ex so I had never told her anything about him. I was pretty surprised at how supportive she could be toward Ara, since we are having difficult times and I think most of parents (and grandparent) will take a side opposing the boyfriend at any of normal circumstances.
I dunno whether this was granny's intuition or feeling or whatever... or perhaps her subjective perspective to Ara, but she supported me with the case. She told me to hold on with him and understood when I said he is the one for me. While people out there are suggesting to find a more eligible bachelor, my grandma told me to stick with this one, only if God says so. And if He does, He'll send signals and show the way.
I was so glad she shared all of the memories with me, since they truly happened fifty years ago and treasured in my grandma's heart and mind for all of these decades. I didn't have the chance to listen to Oma Biddy's--my dad's mom who was already passed away--stories, but this one is enough. Thank you, Oma, for sharing with me--it was fun!





0 comments