Knightly Attitudes

21:14

via deviantart

For the past year I had been learning about Indonesian culture and heritage more seriously than ever. It was because of the people I've met had led me to the ancestors. During that also, I had read about Pandawa Lima (Five Pandava princes) from Wayang (Indonesian puppet stories) of Mahabharata epic or known as Bharata Yudha (War of Bharata) and more about other local myths and tales.

These stories had taught me a lot about life, much more and differently than what I thought I knew about. With Hindu teachings and Indonesian true culture and heritage, I could see that people were expected to behave and do things with an attitude of a knight (in Indonesian, it is ksatriya). While what happens in the 'real' world, nobody is acting noble enough nowadays.

Men became more like jerks or even act like a pussy. Women lost their honor and elegance. The world has become so "modern" it has lost all of its original values. Everything became upside-down and inside-out; the wrongs became right and the rights became wrong. Due to the Jangka Jayabaya (let's call it as Indonesian Nostradamus' prophecy), these symptoms are leading to the Apocalypse.

via blogspot

As I study more about the culture in the ancestor's time, I learn that some of the teaching we believe in now is different, if I can't say it to be wrong. In the Nuswantaran (the name of the nation before it became Indonesia) time, people were mighty (master the magic). But apart from the magic, they all act as true knights, like the demeanor of the gods. Men were gentlemen. Women were graceful.

More than that, I learn that men respect women much more than they do now. Not that I'm thirsty of honor but they way men treat women now (especially in the east culture) is more like just an additional partner in their life, as servant at home or as sex slave. And the women accepted the situation and adapted to it. While other men fancy their own kind, and it is contagious.

The youth are busy with video games, sex and upset when they don't have any boyfriend/girlfriend. The generation before was into drugs and fights. They care only for themselves and their lust or madness. While those who become parents mostly don't understand how to teach and direct their children. The whole world is chaotic and full of sick people.

via pitoyo

People had lost their virtue. They act and talk like animals, no more etiquette nor nobility in their actions. I think the problem is because we had lost our connection with the past. I know the past is history, but history is necessary to know about in order to know the nation's identity and pride. I never believed in Indonesia before, but since I know the greatness of the nation once was, I am now aware of who we really are, of what we are capable of and of where we must go next.

I want to suggest to all Indonesian to care more about this nation. Don't be just followers who re-post and re-path anything that is spreading in the social media. We all need to know more about this nation's true values, that we all can be more confident and more purposeful in our steps of action. If we know what we have to hold on to and to fight for, I believe Indonesia will be the most prominent nation in this whole world.



PS. To know more details about this, read my upcoming trilogy novel first book: Gapura. It will published online next week via nulisbuku. I'll update about it :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

My Books

Victoria Tunggono's books on Goodreads
Gerbang Nuswantara Gerbang Nuswantara
reviews: 3
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.73)

Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura (Buku 1) E-Book Edition Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura (Buku 1) E-Book Edition
reviews: 2
ratings: 4 (avg rating 5.00)

Gateway to Nuswantara Gateway to Nuswantara
ratings: 1 (avg rating 5.00)

Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura (Buku 1)
reviews: 1
ratings: 1 (avg rating 5.00)