Vasomotor Rhinitis

12:58

After like a lifetime of suffering the almost-endless flu symptoms, I finally know the name of my problem. I thought it was an allergy, but my doctor cousin just told me that it is a vasomotor rhinitis or nonallergic rhinitis. The symptoms are chronic sneezing (which happened mostly during my high school years in Bandung) and/or stuffy/runny nose (also during my high school years until college) without any apparent cause.

These all got better when I moved to Jakarta that more humid than Bandung, and way better since I stayed in Bali. Sadly, no cure was found for this, for it is not an allergy non a disease. It's just a body 'defect', as I take it. All I can do for now is avoiding the triggers, such as pollen, drastic change of weather/temperature, dust, strong odors, smog like cigarette fume and any touch on my nose area.

According to Mayo Clinic, nonallergic rhinitis occurs when blood vessels in your nose expand (dilate), filling the nasal lining with blood and fluid. There are several possible causes of this abnormal expansion of the blood vessels or inflammation in the nose. But, whatever the trigger, the result is the same — swollen nasal membranes and congestion.

My doctor cousin and aunt suggested to take decongestant & antihistamine if the symptoms occur (which I already take Rhinnos SR as the best medicine for me). My cousin said I have to blow my nose regularly and rinse (sterilize) any of nasal passages, to humidify and hydrated myself. So I guess tropical beaches suit me more than mountains and snow. No wonder I never liked staying in Bandung!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

My Books

Victoria Tunggono's books on Goodreads
Gerbang Nuswantara Gerbang Nuswantara
reviews: 3
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.73)

Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura (Buku 1) E-Book Edition Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura (Buku 1) E-Book Edition
reviews: 2
ratings: 4 (avg rating 5.00)

Gateway to Nuswantara Gateway to Nuswantara
ratings: 1 (avg rating 5.00)

Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura (Buku 1)
reviews: 1
ratings: 1 (avg rating 5.00)