DIY Project: Coolest Fan Ever!
01:38| I chose paisley to fit the shape of the propeller |
A fan that I ordered came yesterday in spare parts and I needed to assemble it myself. I just bought a spray paint so I got a spontaneous idea of painting the silvers to black because it looked cheap and I didn't like it. Luckily I bought a matte black paint, so it matches with the other parts of the fan. I painted just the propeller and iron base because everything else was already black. Then, I added a paisley pattern on it with white, silver and gold markers that I bought few weeks ago.
![]() |
| this is the fan's original look |
If you want to get the perfect result, use paints and brushes instead of markers for the drawing, or if you want to get colorful effect when the fan is on, try coloring in radial sections. I made this within 24 hours, with the longest duration is to wait for the paint to get dry and make sure it's even. It's so easy to do you can start without even having art basics (this was my first attempt also). Check out the steps on image below:
Some tips:
- The fan I use is Indonesian made Sekai table fan HFN 1210.
- Get matte look paint if you want to draw on it after. Glossy look may be good too if you use acrylic paint after. Apply soft, thin layers on spraying instead of a single thick one for better result. Wait for 10-15 minutes before applying another layer. Have used newspaper as the base of your working floor/desk. Be sure you do it outdoor to avoid inhaling too much of the gas odor.
- I use Pylox Basic PB 102 A Matt Black spray paint, UNI Posca all-surface white marker 8mm, Artline 990XF permanent gold marker No. 1.2 and Snowman permanent silver marker No. SP. I don't recommend the 8mm Posca because it's too big with square tip (but I only had this). If you want to use markers like I did, use ones with smaller tip. If you have time and want perfection, use paint and brush.
- Drawing on the propeller with pencil first can be great for a more precise result. I didn't. At least have it designed on a paper first what you want to do on the media.
- Use the paper tape to secure the parts you don't want to get painted, if there is any. I didn't use it for this project, but it is useful for other projects.
- There are some simple basic lines to make a mandala/paisley pattern. Take all the natural essence around you and use creativity to combine all together. Here's a diagram for easy basic mandala drawing, you can start here and improvise yourself:
- You may add a clear spray paint once you finish, to lock the colours from decaying. I don't use it and it still looks good (I love the matte finish). Let's see how long it can last.
Happy DIY!







0 comments