5 Whys I (Choose To) Stay In Bali
23:07![]() |
| This island is my home. |
Since 2012 I've been going back and forth from Jakarta to Bali, trying to settle down on my own. Yes, I much prefer to live in Bali, but somehow I still have some kind of emotional bond with my hometown that made me have to go back to Jakarta once in a while. I don't really have much here except that I rent a studio apartment to stay and a motorbike to get me places. These have made me claiming Bali to be a place that I call home.
I may not get to live here forever either; who knows where life would lead you to, right?
But having to always missing Bali every time I'm away makes me ask myself this question: why do I love Bali so much? What's keeping me in this beautiful island? Why does it always calling me to come back, even that I didn't grow up here?
So I'm listing my reasons here, of why Bali is such a home for me:
- Every place is within reach: the city, beaches, mountains, lakes, cliffs, forests, rice fields, waterfalls, temples.. I can simply ride a motorbike within 2 hours to get to every tourism destination and don't even have to stay over the night if I go early in the morning. And it's easy to rent a car if I'm not in the mood for a bike ride. Also, they're affordable!
- Everybody is here: the local Balinese, migrants from all over Indonesia, tourists from all over the world.. It's the best place to meet everyone and learn about the world from them. Plus, almost everyone is going for a holiday or work in Bali, and eventually you'll meet your friends or reunite with old mates here. One can never be lonely in Bali.
- Everything is so serene: Most of Balinese are Hindu and the religion taught peace, karma, and love. I think these are the foundation to such peaceful life--the peace that starts from within. Although it's not so good when it comes to business (that people are so slow here) but it's good for soul (and heart) repairing. The 'Bali therapy' is simply what tired souls need.
- Freedom for everyone. I just feel free from any judgment, moral obligation, or any social system that applies in both Jakarta and Bandung where I lived. I can wear any outfit that I want, from bikini and flip-flops to evening dress and high heels. I can stay single and befriends with anyone, I can go all week or stay at home.. But most importantly, I'm stress-free!
- I can focus on myself. Being away from the family means more time for myself. It's not that I don't care about my family; in fact I care too much that I need the space and time to be on my own to keep my balance. I am a loner sometimes, and I need my solo moment once in a while. Being in Bali, with all my physical, emotional, and social needs fulfilled, is a blessing.





0 comments