Man's Territory
01:14via deeptruths
Let's talk about man's territory. I told my boyfriend about a female friend who is forbidden to befriend with her best friend. So, this girl had this best friend who appeared to be a male. She treated and felt him just as a friend, but apparently the guy felt and wanted more of her. When she got married to a man she loves, her husband forbid her to keep in touch with him.
I told this story and I felt pity on her because she isn't allowed to keep her male friend. I myself have some male friends I keep close around me, although somehow my girl's radar caught signals of that 'wanting more' from them. The thing is, they really are great friends to me who I've known for a very long time. I had always thought that friends are meant to be forever.
Alas, my boyfriend thought differently. He back up my friend's husband's rule about keeping other male outside his wife's circle. "It's about man's territory," he told me. He was saying what's in the head of all men, the thing I could never understand. What is wrong about keeping friends? What is wrong about having male friends? I really can't understand this.
But I think I am no longer in my young adult years. As my discussion with Pompink years ago, people now befriends for either because of the long friendship they have since the '90s or because there is something favorable. I must be very naïve to think that these guys wanna be friends with me without wanting more. But it's their problem, isn't it?
I've always thought that to like or to love someone is everyone's right. It's up to us how to behave or deal with that. Like Robin and Ted in How I Met Your Mother, they can remain friends for years after the romance, although Ted loves Robin very much deep inside until (maybe) today. They can do it pretty well, don't they?
I know you'll tell me it's just in a movie, but I think the case is real and the solution can be applied to anyone of us, if one party behaves neutrally and draws an obvious line of the 'friend zone'. Maybe for some people just friends aren't enough, that's why they leave. But in true friends, one-sided love won't be a problem. Now, am I right?




0 comments