Pompeii
23:12
[ bakoel koffie bintaro ]
Last Sunday I went to meet Jessie and Alif in Bintaro. We talked for hours in Bakoel Koffie and ended up watching this movie Pompeii at Lotte Mall and had dinner at Burger & Grill nearby. I really spent my whole Sunday in Bintaro with them. It was fun, but what bothered me more to put it here on my blog was the movie.
via ropeofsilicon
About the movie, Pompeii is a good one, with the Roman empire setting on 79 AD in Pompeii city that stood at the foot of Vesuvius mountain. When the volcano erupted with no warning, the whole city was buried alive from the hot lava. Different from the documentary of the same city I've watched on BBC, this movie centers on the main character, Milo, a slave who became gladiator and fell in love with the princess of Pompeii, Cassia, and her family's struggle against the corrupt senator.
This is basically a love story, and as I see it that way, this movie has almost no weakness. The casts are mostly new and fresh actors, especially for Kit Harrington and Emily Browning. The plot was nicely flowing, from Milo's childhood to his adult age. The love triangle and political problem are normally displayed. I have no comment on the story. And the visual effect was great.
What I want to discuss here is more to the mystery behind the Mount Vesuvius eruption. With many eruptions in Indonesia lately (Mt. Sinabung, Mt. Merapi, Mt. Kelud for the past few months), I found this movie both related and refreshing. What made me question here, is why the Vesuvius' 12 hours of eruption could perish all of the inhabitants of Herculaneum and Pompeii, while in Indonesia lately there are still many survivors. Perhaps the eruptions lately weren't as big as it was in South Italy nearly 2000 years ago, but still I find this really bizarre.
Furthermore, how could such eruption (in Pompeii) had killed so many but some remained 'frozen' in such positions, complete with their clothing intact (as seen in the BBC's documentary, and said to be 'never seen before or since'), as if they were eternal, while in Herculaneum (which was closer to Vesuvius) only skeletons and skulls remained.
While in physics theory, a 600 Celcius degrees heat from volcano eruption would perish humans onto ashes right away. What would be the mystery behind the frozen figures left in the Pompeii ruins? Don't you think it should be burnt onto ashes instead of remaining a complete form of human bodies?
It was said that the heat was 500 Celcius degrees when it reached Herculaneum that burnt the human bodies and boiled the human brains there, but cooled down to 250-300 Celcius degrees when it reached Pompeii that didn't burn the people but froze them instead. While the distance between Vesuvius to Herculaneum and Vesuvius to Pompeii was within 10 KM away and the materials from the volcano could come in just few minutes. Could the temperature fall few hundreds degrees in just minutes count?
The scientists and archaeologists in Pompeii ruins said the people could have died from suffocated of the ashes and debris instead because of the heat. It was the fourth pyroclastic surge (burning cloud) that finally swept life away from Pompeii. I would say that this mystery of Pompeii ruins is actually odd, given the circumstances, with all the facts and history told.
via wikipedia
The documentary said it 300 individuals were found around the site of Herculaneum in form of skeletons and skulls. But if you think more about it, isn't it strange that the remains in Herculaneum could differ from the ones in Pompeii, in form of full-bodied plaster casts? And why is it only some of the frozen figures were found where there were 20,000 inhabitants of Pompeii lived at the time? If the disaster could make some people 'eternal', why didn't it do the same to the rest of them?
As a believer I notice that disasters could happen only by the permission of God to abolish the people of one city or area that are no longer please God (remember Sodom & Gomorrah or the great flood with Noah's ark?) But lately I discover that disasters could also be a decoy to cover up the concealment of one (or more) civilization(s). It happened to Atlantis when Mount Krakatau (and Mount Tambora) erupted in 1883, so it could be the same with Pompeii, only 1800 years earlier.
I will leave this post here unanswered, because only God could answer this kind of question. But one thing I want to say here: Pompeii was known as a sophisticated and majestic city at its time. It has a symbol of eternity (the frozen people) that is always found in other missing great civilizations (such as Shangri-La with its fountain of youth). I would just say that Pompeii could be one of the city perished by God's rage for its crimes and sins, or, one of the hidden great civilizations, as the other Nuswantaran kingdoms (read more about it here).
Below is another movie from BBC, more to the stories of what could've happened in Pompeii on its last day. I saw this one years ago, but it's a nice thing to refresh mind and watch it one more time. Enjoy!
As a believer I notice that disasters could happen only by the permission of God to abolish the people of one city or area that are no longer please God (remember Sodom & Gomorrah or the great flood with Noah's ark?) But lately I discover that disasters could also be a decoy to cover up the concealment of one (or more) civilization(s). It happened to Atlantis when Mount Krakatau (and Mount Tambora) erupted in 1883, so it could be the same with Pompeii, only 1800 years earlier.
I will leave this post here unanswered, because only God could answer this kind of question. But one thing I want to say here: Pompeii was known as a sophisticated and majestic city at its time. It has a symbol of eternity (the frozen people) that is always found in other missing great civilizations (such as Shangri-La with its fountain of youth). I would just say that Pompeii could be one of the city perished by God's rage for its crimes and sins, or, one of the hidden great civilizations, as the other Nuswantaran kingdoms (read more about it here).
Below is another movie from BBC, more to the stories of what could've happened in Pompeii on its last day. I saw this one years ago, but it's a nice thing to refresh mind and watch it one more time. Enjoy!






2 comments