Emotions VS Feelings
18:13![]() |
| Emotions. via community |
I had some arguments with my boyfriend the other day. It was because of my emotions. I was too drawn to my mixed-up emotions that I tend to do crazy stuff (not that I'm that psychopath--but I think serious dose of this could lead to that deviant behavior). I told him that I was feeling jealous/sad/afraid, etc. And he said they are not feelings. They are emotions instead.
Actually, heavy words are not my style. I like to discuss heavy topics but not using complicated words so I used the simplest word instead: I feel. This had been the word I've been taught since in the kindergarten and I feel a little odd with the word "emotion". Apparently emotions are different from feelings. Due to John Voris' writing, feelings are low-key, stable and sustained over time while emotions are intense but temporary.
Feelings tell us how to live while emotions tell us what we like and dislike. Feelings indicate the right or wrong way to be while emotions indicate the good and bad actions. Therefore the love we have toward each other is a feeling, while the jealousy, sadness or fear of losing another are emotion. I--he said--shouldn't do anything reckless based on emotions but to think carefully before taking an action--which we girls mostly find it harder to do.
![]() |
| via johnvoris |
I hate it so much that my boyfriend can always say the right things, even if I insisted how right I was before (which would never make me Mrs. Always Right as other wives in the world) but I love how correct he is that I know I can always count/lean on him. I know how capable, strong and real he is that I know, he is the right person for me. I think that's what made me fall for him. He always has the right answer to everything--even when he doesn't know.
John Voris wrote on his website as follows:
The difference between emotions and feelings is crucial to your personal growth. If you are dissatisfied in your life, know that there is really nothing wrong with you, and there is nothing to fix. Rather, there is only something to discover about yourself. The practice of Psyphology: psy·phol·o·gy (pronounced sahy-fol-uh-jee) is one of the few methodologies that makes a distinction between emotions and feelings and it can aid you in that discovery. The uniqueness of your feelings can provide you with a new understanding, that can lead to many positive changes for you.
I think he is right. To know the difference between feelings and emotions could really make a difference on what to do next, because emotions are temporary and never worth to be the base of any action. By knowing these differences, I could be better in the future. I bet the world will be a more beautiful and peaceful place to be if we all know and aware of this ;)






3 comments