Sabda Pandhita Ratu
16:57| via baltyra |
Sabda Pandhita Ratu, or "the words of a queen (or king)", is one of Javanese' philosophy. The complete saying is as follows: sabda pandhita ratu, tan kena wola-wali, and berbudi bawalaksana. It means, "once the words are said, it must be done and do not changed". Berbudi bawalaksana means "to hold on to the words/promises; the unity of the words and actions". It means the loyalty to our own words.
Sabda Pandhita Ratu does not apply to only queens and kings, but also to all people whose soul of the knights, born of knight's blood (the ksatriya caste) and whomever wants to do things right. The more perwayangan (wayang stories), epic Indonesian/folklore stories I read, the more understand I am to this concept. A gentleman (and also a lady) is judged by his/her actions--that is based on his/her words. The more capable one sticks to his/her words, the more noble he/she is.
During my visit to Bali last week, I talked to few people with broad knowledge and high spirituality. I've heard about this before, that we--the chosen ones--should be careful with our mind, words and action. But last week I got more convinced by this friend's words that the ancestors are watching my every step in this living world.
I don't have any sixth sense or such indigo sights. I am a normal person. But to know (literally and consciously) that the ancestors are watching, made me realize how powerful my words could be. If I say bad words toward others it could give them bad consequence. But if I use it wisely and for good causes, imagine what could've been!
Of course we don't need to being watched to do noble things, to apply this philosophy on our daily lives. It's just nice to have a confirmation, as a reminder that we are not alone in this world and that our behavior/actions are being supervised to determine our future ('the afterlife' and karma theory). I think it's just nice to know that the gods and ancestors are looking at our every step. Don't you think?




0 comments