Daily Problems of Small People
10:00I went to the office this morning as usual by a Kopaja 19 from the Dukuh Atas bus stop to the south. When I stepped in, I found that it was half full, one on every seat. So I decided to find myself a private seat; the only one left was beside the bus driver.
I sat there mutely, and my mind had been busy with my own thoughts that I didn't really care with whatever happened behind me. But when we reached the Karet bus stop a man came and sat beside me.
He happened to be the bus driver's friend so ever since he reached the front side of the bus they started talking and distracted whatever was on my mind. I started to overhear their conversation, since they were talking loudly, one with strong Betawiness accent but the other one's accent was less noticable.
So, during the whole trip through 6 transjakarta stations and more bus stops, I could recognize the problems they were facing: the bus driver (named Udin or something similar) had lost his wallet last night when he dropped his child to a friend's house. In the wallet there were all his valuable cards; STNK (paper of his motorcycle), SIM (driving license), and KTP (ID card).
He was already screwed up for the loss, remembering that it cost him some fortune to get the new ones all in one time, plus the bus rate is now Rp 2.000,- since the president's decision recently, lacking him Rp 500,-/person. He said he preferred the solar price to be Rp 5.500,- than Rp 4.500,- to give him more income.
Maybe it matches the old Indonesian phrase; sudah jatuh tertimpa tangga (fall and got the ladder fell upon). But if you remember The Secret, you shouldn't think of negative things otherwise worse things would come and get nearer to you. One negative thought would invite another negative things; as in one positive thought simply gets more positive things to come around.
He might be thinking the negative way about the incident he experienced, so that this morning he crashed in a motorcycle earlier in his duty today. It wasn't so terrible, he said, since the only thing broken was only a rearview mirror. But the thing that gotten him, the accident he crashed in to, made his mind more distracted than just losing the wallet; he was now concerning about getting more money to replace the cards he lost.
On the carrefour of Trunojoyo and Sultan Hasanuddin, a man stepped in to the bus in front of us and since I sat in the front I could see clearly his face and noticed his appearance but I didn't think about a thing. Then the bus driver's friend who sat beside me said, 'He's a thieve. Be careful, Miss, since he steals smartly.'
I asked him, 'How'd you know? Are you guessing or do you know him?' And he said, 'I recognize him. He acts often here and he's good in it. You just gotta be careful. Sitting in front like this is the safest place in a bus.'
I thanked him for the information.
I couldn't say anything to the bus driver, I just couldn't think of one right sentence for it. So I just slipped some money in the bus driver's hand before I went down and in my walking journey to the office I was thinking about the life small people like bus drivers are having. I really do hope that they could have a chance to know Jesus, the Greatest Savior. But I know that even if they don't know Him, He would always take care of them.
He just knows the best way to help each of us, and I really do hope He had used my hands to help the bus driver, at least to put a little strength and optimism in his mind.. just to make his day brighter and put all the negativity away. I hope He would use me more for the humanity.





0 comments