Laugh.. At Yourself!

12:13


Here is another topic I was discussing with Lita the other day: that one should be able to laugh at his/her own mistakes. Most of the time we are being too hard on ourselves. Perfection is a must and little stuff sweats us.

Lately I figured that my life is so much easier to bear and fun to live with. I realized that I am so much influenced by Cheryl's easy going and Rachelle's silly characters. They both played a major part on my healing phase after my breakup with Ara last year.

Lita said I look so much fresher and stressless. Rachelle said I am so much of myself now, after years acting limited due to my exs' tight rules and rude behaviors. More friends BBM-ed me and said I look different, fresher and younger in my latest BBM display picture.

[my latest BBM display picture]

Recently I met a friend who is so tight about acting perfect in public. She mocks at people but refuses to be mocked. Of all people, she acted hyperactively at one moment and I purposely recorded it in a video and posted it in facebook.

She sent me personal message instantly, asking me to undo the post because she couldn't stand the mocks she would have to face. Perhaps this was my fad, but I can't stand looking at someone's fake attitude or if they are being unfair with people. When you taunt someone, you should be sportive enough to let them taunt you back.

I know that she wants to look flawless in front of the guy she likes--who doesn't like her back, in fact--but if you are able to do something, you should be able to take responsibility of it, no matter how despicable, humiliating, silly it was. You should be responsible of all things that you do or say.

So when you do, I can see that you have accepted yourself the way you are. You love yourself and not being too hard on yourself. This kind of people is the one who can enjoy life and feel happy most of the time, because they have found the secret key of life.

Most people think that when they try so hard to keep people from laughing at them, they are safe. What I saw at around me lately, those who can laugh at themselves are ones who aren't laughed at, because people can see how they can accept themselves. But if you can't laugh at yourself, people will do it to you.

Laughing at your own mistakes or foolishness is another way to show how much you can accept yourself, appreciate yourself, love yourself. I used to be confined for the attitude and manner my ex thought was shameful. But it was me being cheerful, witty and active. I couldn't act myself back then.

Thanks to my girls Cheryl and Rachelle, I am now back the way I used to be. They taught me not to be too serious about life and little things. They taught me how to laugh at my own mistakes, accepting silly things I did or could do, and make life just easier to bear. This is part of accepting and loving myself, too.

In the end, this is all about appreciating life and God's gift. Life is short and full of problems. But if we take it lightly, with graceful manner to God and others, and take full responsibility of all things that happened in our lives--regardless if we meant to do it or not--we could see that life is simply a beautiful gift God has given us. So spend it wisely, guys!


"You grow up the day you have your first real laugh--at yourself."
-Ethel Barrymore

You Might Also Like

1 comments

My Books

Victoria Tunggono's books on Goodreads
Gerbang Nuswantara Gerbang Nuswantara
reviews: 3
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.73)

Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura (Buku 1) E-Book Edition Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura (Buku 1) E-Book Edition
reviews: 2
ratings: 4 (avg rating 5.00)

Gateway to Nuswantara Gateway to Nuswantara
ratings: 1 (avg rating 5.00)

Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura (Buku 1)
reviews: 1
ratings: 1 (avg rating 5.00)