My Nyepi Day
12:15via deviantart
I spent my whole Nyepi day yesterday chatting with several people. One of them was my cousin's wife. I had never really know about her until I was in Bali. She asked what I was doing in the island and told me that she, too, had her time working in here.
Then we talked about relationship. She and my cousin is four years difference, and she is older. This made us more similar to each other, because she, too, is another "student" of Paulo Coelho. Only, she is more a Brida (Brida, 2008--original version in Portuguese was in 1990) while I am more to Athena (The Witch of Portobello, 2006).
So she shared a little of her life story with me, how she dated various guys before and went to few magical places she highly recommended me to go, and few tips on living my life. As fellow students of Coelho's, we share same values and as someone older, it was her duty to give me advices. I know now why my dear cousin chose her to be his wife. Because she has a beautiful heart, that's why.
My rest of Nyepi day was spent chatting with Ilham, of course. We discussed about differences between us, which is mostly the religion. It is such a relieve that we can discuss about this openly, which enriches both of us in many ways. At the end of the day, we found out why did we "met" after I am in Bali, why should it be "Bali" and why should it be "him" for me.
Apparently we have the same level of understanding in many ways, only from different spectacles and by different ways. Other than that, I think there aren't so many differences between us. And Bali, someday, will unite us.
It is just a matter of time, but I know that true love could withstand anything, so I don't worry. I usually rush things, but this time I'm taking it real slow, certain that we still have eternity to share in the future.
Funny how things happened between us, but we both know and believe that God has a beautiful plan behind all this. He looked at our CVs and think we could make it, so He created the path for us to be together.
Anyway, I really love Nyepi day. It is truly a day we could spend with ourselves and God. Or to spend it with very special people in our hearts. I never really mind the darkness and silence. I don't mind avoiding electricity either. It is a very recommended moment everyone should experience, to be closer to God and listen to what He is saying.
Too bad, most people are scared to the darkness and such silence. Like my two neighbors here, they went to their shop and spent the day with friends watching DVDs there. And like my other neighbor, she kept her light on all night, making it less Nyepi for me, but it's much better when she finally silenced her radio. Those people are the kinds who are afraid to console with themselves, and seeking for crowd and lights instead.
For me, Nyepi is such a glorious day I need to do more often myself. It is truly a time to reconcile with self and to fix the broken relationships with people and God. I really am grateful to experience the moment here in Bali. I hope there are more to come :)




0 comments