Night Coffee with A Friend
09:48via fineartamerica
The other night--about three/four nights ago--I went to Quest Hotel, Tuban, to meet Andreas Susandika. He was my junior high schoolmate whom I met again last year in Jakarta when he was hanging out with Cheryl. Apparently his office has several projects in Bali so he comes here once every two weeks.
We had coffee at the hotel's coffee shop and discussed about our lives lately. We both involve in cross-religion relationships, so we got a lot to discuss and share with each other. I told him my story being with Ilham and he was also surprised that such person could exist in Indonesia. Rare to meet, so I am lucky.
One thing we agreed, that there is no such thing as someone that is "too good to be true". There must be some flaw that would be very much a trouble, and when I can overcome that, he would be someone that was prepared by God for me.
I learned from my experiences--and kind of recognizing how this world works--there is always evil in every beauty. There is something controversial behind everything that looks so perfect. I am still waiting to know the flaw and to see if I can deal with it and accept it, because to me, Ilham still seems too good to be true.
Andreas and I also discussed about marriage according to the order of the siblings' number. I personally think that it is such a tradition for people without faith. A couple of our friends' are not dating for more than five years but can not get married because the girl has to wait for her two older sisters to get married first.
It is so silly, to know that the first one isn't gonna marry anytime soon--make the young sisters have to wait for, like, eternal maybe?
I can't help myself not to laugh about this, to know that the girl is raised in such a religious family and her father is a priest. Where is your faith, mister? The tradition that the kids have to get out of the family in order, was created because they are afraid the first one would never be married if the younger kids get married first. This is ridiculous.
I myself never bothered if my sister or brother get married before me. I planned to get married at 33 anyway, so it is much better if they settle down first. I am easy. But then again, not too many people are easy going like me, especially--again--in Indonesia.
I really do hope people can change their conservative ideals here, to make this country a better place to live in. I am so lucky that I am in Bali now, where most people are open minded. I love this island so much!




0 comments