Tales and Fables
20:43![]() |
| All for Rp 50,000! |
I found these books on sale last week and got them all for only IDR50,000. It was a great deal for me, who haven't shop for books for quite some time. I've been reading most of the tales, both the Arabian Night's (Kisah-Kisah dari Negeri 1001 Malam) and the Indonesian & World's Classic Tales (50 Cerita Klasik) and I think some tales are similar to each other.
One thing that I notice, tho, most of the tales tell us that first-born child or earlier-born children (almost) always have bad/worse attitude than the last child. It had always been like that, even in the Bible. There is only one tale I found that the "winner" of the game is the middle child, only to find in the next tale that his youngest brother gets a bigger prize after.
Then the questions came to me:
Is it natural that oldest kids are tend to be rude, cruel, lazy, spoiled, jealous children?
And why is it never happen to the youngest one?
Why is the kind-hearts, humbleness and nobility always go to the last child?
If the Bible--or these tales--were told as metaphors, then I'd take it that the best quality is usually found in the ones who get a lower place or the suffering/downtrodden people. Perhaps it is said to obviate people from getting arrogant. Because, honestly, I am the first child and I feel that I am far from being a rude, cruel, lazy, spoiled, jealous, or whatever-it-is-that-is-worse-than-the-last-sibling's-attitude.
I may not be perfect but I won't agree if all first kids are that bad. But I also admit that my youngest sister gets easier path of life than it is/was for both me and my brother. Perhaps it's in their luck. Maybe there is a special privileges of being the last child. But as a first-born, I'd say I have my own privileges, too! ;)





0 comments