Becoming Celebrity

22:20


image was uploaded from the internet

I just read the blog of Dee, a singer, writer, blogger, mother and my ex-neighbor. She might not know me. But well, we've met for few times, I've been to her book discussions. But well, she doesn't know me still (who am I, btw?)

It was quite funny to read her blog, her justifications on the issues around her (I didn't know all that, I don't watch the infotainment or read those tabloids.. haven't any time for useless and boring stuff like that.. And becoming their neighbor, I was totally media-blind about them.)

But I always love Dee. I love her books and she was so nice and warm in person when we meet in front of my house after her morning jog with Keenan, her son.

It's just came to me that it IS NOT cool to be a celeb, is it? Cuz every little movement could be a gossip, the hot one, with many spices on it, with some imagination of the reporter.. the positive can be negative. The nothing can be something. And they grab money from the gossips. The only victims are the celeb(s) they're talking about.

I had always wanted to be someone famous. A celebrity. I wanted whether to be an actress, a catwalk model, or singer. I wanted people to know me, to say my name, to adore me, to buy or do something becuz of me. But after knowing some local celebs from a model friend, I put those dreams away.

Now, when I read Dee's blog, I imagined how it would feel if I were a celeb. With all those tragic love stories, all those sensational issues, all those slant behavior I've had and did before, I wonder how it would be if I were a celeb. I won't have the perfect cycle of life, the complete process on becoming the 'me' now, the freedom of choosing of what I want to do or not.

Everything that I'd do must hit the borders, the burden I'd carry as a public figure. For the things I'd do I'd be tagged, labeled. And they don't forget fast. They will remember everything that you do, more to the negative ones, even if it was done 10, or 50 years ago.

Even for the thing I'd not do, I'd have to be judged, cuz people are free to think of and say anything, and they never ask the right person (or if they did, the rumor can be changed by being transferred to the second, third... hundredth person).

Our culture in Indonesia made us accustomed for gossiping, judging, labelling and talking about someone we don't know behind them. Even our friends can be wrong about us. How about the journalists and public who watch and hear like Rita Skeeter in Harry Potter's magic world? 

It's not easy to be a celeb (the good one) to carry such a burden, react to it, and keep mind clear and try not to care about them, live one's life as if the judging public were nothing but barking dogs. I salute all the celebs, especially the ones with good aura in public like Dee (cuz I am not really a fan to Indonesian celebs but Dee is one of the few). I admired how they deal with all the gossips and false issues about everything that they do.

I guess for a fan I can only support them by buying their original art pieces and not to gossip/judge anything about them (no, I don't really have time for this, you know). You can do this positive acts, too, friends. Just let them live their lives free from our comments but only our supports.

False truth or slant comments can be depressing for some people if they hear it. By doing that we are not only tell others about something that isn't really true (can be said as lying) and make others think about someone by our not-sure-to-be-true perspective (which is influencing).

Gossips can also make our mind, or heart, dirty. And it waste our time and space in brain to think of something more useful, eg. to make dreams come true (by taking that first and baby steps.) Plus, we don't commit a sin by gossiping. How nice it is living in such peace?

You Might Also Like

2 comments

My Books

Victoria Tunggono's books on Goodreads
Gerbang Nuswantara Gerbang Nuswantara
reviews: 3
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.73)

Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura (Buku 1) E-Book Edition Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura (Buku 1) E-Book Edition
reviews: 2
ratings: 4 (avg rating 5.00)

Gateway to Nuswantara Gateway to Nuswantara
ratings: 1 (avg rating 5.00)

Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura (Buku 1)
reviews: 1
ratings: 1 (avg rating 5.00)