Old Ice Shack

00:08



I went today with my parents to the Carrefour to shop some monthly supply and on the way home we passed the Petojo area and my dad told me something about the old shack on the corner of the carrefour.

During the World War II (or maybe before) people haven't had the refrigerator to make ice cubes. They had to buy the ice blocks (about 1 meter long) and this was where they bought them.

They built some more shacks like this one in several places around Jakarta and kept the ice blocks there. The walls were layered by sawdust and zinc to keep the temperature low inside the building.

This is a rare info I got from my Dad, not everyone passing this old shack know what its use was for. I'm glad my Dad shared some history with me, although it's just a bit.. And now I'm sharing this with you.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

My Books

Victoria Tunggono's books on Goodreads
Gerbang Nuswantara Gerbang Nuswantara
reviews: 3
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.73)

Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura (Buku 1) E-Book Edition Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura (Buku 1) E-Book Edition
reviews: 2
ratings: 4 (avg rating 5.00)

Gateway to Nuswantara Gateway to Nuswantara
ratings: 1 (avg rating 5.00)

Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura Trilogi Keraton Emas: Gapura (Buku 1)
reviews: 1
ratings: 1 (avg rating 5.00)