Steps to Lifetime Partnership
21:45via fanpop
I went to my ex-colleague's wedding last Saturday morning at the MBK church. Maya was married with her 9-year-boyfriend Erwin and that felt sooo sweet.. I met my other colleagues there, more than them who I usually meet in the Senci meetings and it was nice to see them all.
I got another wedding (a 10-years-relationship's wed) to attend that night in Bandung but couldn't manage to get there cuz I still have things to be done here in Jakarta (for Vicky + Atika, I'm sorry I couldn't make it there.. But I sure do hope for the best for you both!)
And I still got three more friends who are going to be married in a month from now and this made me thinking. About marriage.
You see, there are lots of reasons to or not to get married. I've found lots against it (not having to have babies and get pregnant and raise them with tender-loving-care stuff, not having to worry about how to pay the kids' school but can do the budgeting for Hawaii's vacation instead, to have more time for myself, to have more freedom, to explore more beauties in the world, etc--yea I've been scared to death by the idea of a marriage) but haven't find any to stand for it (except that if I had found the perfect one). Maybe I have to start gathering the pros now. Meanwhile, I'm gathering reasons to pick on someone over the millions out there.
So, to be sure he/she's the one (and the 'why you marry them'), you gotta check:
- that he/she loves you. Unconditionally. From the heart. For who you are, just the way you are (right...) They say you'll know it thru their eyes. I guess you'll just feel it when you meet the 'one'.
- that he/she's ready for such a big commitment and is mature enough to deal with many of life problems. Yup, this matters.
- that he/she listens to your heart; whether you're worried, happy, scared, excited, disappointed.. anything. They gotta 'hear' you even when you don't say it with words.
- that he/she considers you're perfect, even when you have so many flaws, imperfection and weaknesses.. and they're willing to accept and balance them with their strength. That's how you're completing each other.
- that he/she is a good companion, great discussion mate, that you both have an advanced communication skill, cuz in a relationship, communication (and understanding) is everything!
- that he/she has the same purpose to be married with you, the same principal and belief, the same ideals on anything, the same perspective to avoid a divorce (these stuff here are main reasons for people to get divorced.)
- that he/she knows well how to make you laugh or stop your tears. This is important, cuz like it or not, there are shitty things happen in life and you're gonna see your partner everyday!
- that he/she respects you, your decision, and supports you. And tells you when they think you're taking the wrong way. And still supports you, no matter what.
- that he/she can handle you at your worst cuz marriage is about comfortly being yourself everyday, completed with the love of your life.




4 comments