DIY: "I've Been There" Map
01:50[the Bali map on my wall]
I've been crazy about DIY projects now, especially to decorate my room, although it's already full with stuff. I'd been thinking of having a large Bali map (the beautiful island where I live now) on wall to see my next holiday destination, but never found a good enough map on store, so I decided to print the map on my own and put it on wall. This project takes up only about 2 hours in total for less than $5!
- The first thing you need is the map. You can always buy one at bookstore or travel agency. I searched and found mine from Google and edited it a little by Adobe Photoshop.
- Then I set the size of A2 (about 38x60cm) and printed it on the indoor Easy Banner material. I did mine at Eka Print for only Rp27,300. This is the only actual price I paid for the whole project.
- Glue the map to something thick and soft. It can be Styrofoam, cork, canvas, or carton. I used the carton from my new table packaging, so it added about 40-60mm dimension to my map.
- The tricky part of playing with dimension is to cover the sides so the ugly parts won't show. Make sure you spare 1-2cm of borders before you cut your map.
- Put it on the desired part of your wall. I used 3M double-sided tape behind the map. It's better if you put it in a frame, but since I'm doing this on very tight budget, I'm pretty happy with the result for now.
[push pins and nail polish]
Make the map even more fun with some marks to show the places you've been at. I didn't like the red and blue colors so I painted them with my favorites: purple/magenta and turquoise. The easiest is to use nail polish.
- Prepare a box (or more) of push pins.
- Paint the plastic part of the push pin with nail polish patiently. Hold the needle part with your left fingers and spin slowly while your right hand works on the polish.
- Let dry on used newspaper.
- Check the pins after 10-20 minutes if there are any defect. You can add second layer now or cover it with top coat (also from nail polish).
- The pins with your favorite color are ready for use now.
You can mark all those memorable places you had been with smile... and plan the next holiday trip to the areas with less pins!






0 comments